Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Friendly Reminder

So I am sitting here watching the Oprah I recorded today. Dr. Oz is talking about diabetes. He is treating a woman that has Type one who is 44 years old and has lost kidney function, one leg up to her knee and just had her other foot amputated. 85,000 limbs are amputated due to diabetes per year. The warning signs are: constant thirst, frequent urination, non-healing infections, tingling toes, and blurred vision. I have three of the five. The risk factors are belly fat, sedentary lifestyle, family history, and smoking. I have two of the four. If your waist size is more than half your height, then you are at risk. So there is a vicious cycle..if you get a little fat around your waist, then if you are Type II, the sugar floats around looking for a receptor to bind to. In lieu of binding, it stores in the belly, creating more fat. It then becomes more difficult to reverse. So this explains why I can run and not lose but a handful of weight at a time. It does not make things better, easier, but it explains it in a way that makes me need to be more patient with myself. I need to run because I love to run and because it is good for my heart. I need to be patient, I need to be patient. I need to stay away from sugar, which means I need to get enough sleep and I need to protect my feet. I need to do better.

No comments: