Tuesday, April 22, 2008

If you make a guy laugh, make sure he is not coming off of abdominal surgery

So I applied for a promotion within my department a couple of weeks ago and had my first interview today. There are two or three interviews in this process and the next one is a panel, but more on that one at another time. One of the questions was what do you do best? Of course I said, "Talk to people" and it is true. I have been in my current position for 90 days and I strive to meet one new person each day. I talk to Otis, the groundskeeper, who has been with the organization for more than 30 years and to Momma, who works in the cafeteria and makes sure I eat vegetables everyday - she calls me Angel Baby and on my worse days, she is what I need, and to Yolanda, who keeps the ED so clean, you could almost eat off the floors. I tease the nurses, EMT's, Police Officers, doctors, and security officers. My best friend has worked there for almost three years. She teases me that she has been there for 3 years, I have been there for 3 months and I know more people than she does. So I am funny, really I am funny. Unfortunately for 5F- who had abdominal surgery last week, I am funny. I am pretty sure I am responsible for much of his continued pain.

Anyhow, my Director disagreed with me, she said she thought I do listening best. That blew me away, until I realized that we had just completed a listening exercise in which I succeeded and she failed. After all the time I spent in sales and figured that I could not remember conversations because I was old and tired, I have discovered that I just did not care what the people were saying to me because the topics, conversations, prospects, etc, were just so damn boring, meaningless, and trivial in the grand scheme of things. Now I am in an environment in which we are considered essential personnel, we are each an important piece of something that just works. Most of us are there because we truly care and if we did not, we could not serve the homeless, the drug addicts, the criminals, the abusive, those that are abused, the men & women who serve in the police force or as fire fighters. We could not dig in the pockets of those broken by car accidents, found down, or victims of crime with such a compassion. When you think about these people, the employees and our guests, how can you not care about their stories, how can you not want to listen?

Next topic: How I can get into an elevator, ride up and down because I always forget to push the buttons, and laugh at myself when I get busted in the act of being blonde!

No comments: