Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Luckiest Side Kick Of All

So my wonderful director asked me to travel with her, the CIO and his Director, and the Director and Manager of Finance back east for a technical presentation for an application that we need to upgrade. We left on Tuesday and returned tonight. The experience was surreal. My boss, the PFS Manager, and I traveled together and were met by a car that took us to our hotel. I unpacked, did some homework, and then got ready for cocktails and dinner. Of course, we were taken to an extravagant multi-course meal and then off to bed. The following day, we were delivered our favorite Starbucks beverage and led through a detailed, multi-part presentation that included Vice-Presidents of this and Directors of that. Lunch was in the executive dining room both days and the information was plentiful. The best part was the amount of bonding we were able to do as representatives of our organization. I told my boss that out of all the side-kicks, I was the luckiest of all because I had her. It is so refreshing to have a mentor that is so down to earth, classy, and intelligent. She has nothing in the way of a self-serving agenda and feels successful when those under her are successful. The best part is that she allows mistakes to be learning opportunities. The only bad part of this trip is that I left my IPod on the plane coming home. I am hopeful that I get it back, but will I really?

No comments: