Friday, December 21, 2007

It's A Jolly Holiday With Mary

I love the holidays......ABC Family runs Mary Poppins during the holidays. Who does not love Mary Poppins? Dick Van Dyke is a blundering idiot and as my "Little" says, Julie Andrews has such a "pretty voice". Plus, Mary Poppins schools a bunch of men, although cartoons, and wins the horse derby. Girlz Rule!

In other news, I saw The Golden Compass and have to say that I liked it. I had no intention of seeing it, had no idea that it was a three book series, and would not have paid any attention had the Catholic church not made such an issue. So that I am perfectly clear let me plainly state that most anything the Catholics ask people to ban, boycott, etc, I am participating in - as long as I can maintain moral integrity. So here is what I find funny....The church is upset that a book written by an atheist has been made into a movie and if it does well, the other two books will also be converted as well. As with all movies, there is a bad guy and in this case, the religious leaders are the evil doers. I am not sure how the dark side of the church is any different in this movie than it is in Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers - which has been made a number of times, or The Princess Bride, but maybe it is that The Golden Compass was written by the atheist. But the church is sure that children that are allowed to see the movie, despite the fact that it is not a children's movie, will turn their backs on the religious institution. So it is not the fact that their Bishops continue to be charged on charges for raping young children that will turn the next generation off of the Catholic church, or the fact that the church continues to preach outdated doctrines, it is INSTEAD a movie that most people will mindlessly enjoy for ENTERTAINMENT purposes.

1 comment:

pregamejocelyn said...

You would like the books.

But mostly, I wanted to say excellent point about Robin Hood, etc.