Friday, September 28, 2007

Middle Life Crisis?

A friend of mine asked me today what I would do with my life if money was no object. Wow! Do you know that I could not answer that very easy question. If you ask me what I would do with money if I had it, that is simple: I would provide financial freedom and retirement security for my husband, ease some strain for my friends, support the technology scholarship that means so much to me, and fund the Internet Safety Foundation. Philanthropy would come so easy to me. But what to do with myself is a tormenting question.

I have started reading the Student Doctor network blogs again to see how some of my favorite bloggers are fairing now that school has begun again. I am worried as one of the medical students has deleted his site. Another man has married and begun his first year of medical school with his new wife and together they will become doctors. I miss medicine and the inner workings of a hospital. But when I start to think about what I need to do to become a doctor, I feel overwhelmed and discourage. I am less than 30 credits from an undergrad degree, but need to complete most of my required coursework. Then there is 4 years of med school, internship, residency, and of course, the decision of what specialty to pursue. And I do not have the money for any of this... I am walking back towards the path of writing and have even written a series of articles that I could submit to magazines if I has the guts to do so. I feel inspired by this weeks events to somehow protect children from sexual predators and abusers of every kind. The only way I know how to do that is by going to law school, prosecuting, and eventually, writing policy.

So during this ridiculous ping pong of possiblities, my friend reminds me that I am so good at sales. Yes, she had to remind me. I am not necessarily great at sales but, I follow the sales cycle, build relationshipss, look for win-win situations, maintain integrity, and have no fear of calling on anyone from a Fortune 500 executive to the leader of a 25 person company.

Am I really having a midlife crisis?

No comments: