Friday, November 30, 2007

Countdown to the Big Cry!

Kindergarten, I'm seriously tormented by the word kindergarten. I said I wasn't going to be that kind of Mommy, but I'm just that. I mean, it's important to get your kid into the best program. And this program, it is amazing. So G and I went to the parent meeting for the kindergarten program that will begin August 18, 2008 - yep that's right, almost a year away! (In my defense, this is when all programs are presenting information and asking for a deposit) We were extremely impressed with the teacher - who has a Master's degree in Literacy, the class size - only 15 students, the ratio of 12 to 1 or 13, 14, 15 to 2, and the skills that are part of the curriculum, which exceed the state requirements. The program is full-time, Monday through Friday 8-3:30, or part-time, Tuesday through Thursday all day. So this is all exciting and keep your fingers crossed that we are successful.

The less exciting part is that my "Little" is becoming a big girl and is beginning a path that ends with her leaving my house to go to college, get married, have her own children, and cultivating her own life. I know this sounds ridiculous as there are 13 years involved in this process, but years of having children go faster than years without. Case in point, just yesterday my boys were in elementary school. In June, one will graduate high school and the other will have completed his sophomore year. On one hand, my daughter is turning 4 in January and will be a little over 4 1/2 when she begins the big K. On the other, she is emotionally, socially, and educationally ready. I worry that she is so small, but then worry for the other students as she inherited my strong personality and strength of conviction. Holy cow, how did this happen?

No comments: