Monday, April 6, 2009

From Kindergarten to College in a Blink of an Eye

She took the woman's hand and began to walk away from us. She was brave and excited and just went. My eyes welled up with tears as I saw her go. In her pink and black panda bear shirt, black skirt, black tights, and black converse tennis shoes that she tied herself. She had me braid a piece of her hair this morning. She carried her snacks in her penguin backpack and her Disney Princess Sigg bottle with water. She will be gone for two hours, with a woman I don't know, testing to see what grade she will enter in the Fall. I watched her until I could not see her anymore. I had been directed to the lobby, but was torn between running after her and persuading myself to be the adult. My husband could sense my impending breakdown. Gently, he took my hand and asked if I was ok. He led me to the lobby and sat me in a chair. When the secretary came out to check on us, he did the talking-explaining that she was our baby and that no, we would not be more comfortable leaving and coming back later. He went to Starbucks to get me a latte and I sat, watching for her to come out. I sat and wiped away my tears, thinking about the second chance I was given. Thinking about what a gift I have been given in this child. Thinking about how proud of her I am and how proud of me I should be. I have become the mother I always wanted. Thinking about how great the past year has been, despite the hardships, because all of it brought the three of us so much closer than we ever were and saved this family from dispatching. I am so excited for my baby girl and for me. But this feels like more than I can handle in that my Little is beginning a new chapter and I know how this book ends-she graduates and goes to college and leaves my nest.

2 comments:

sllygrl said...

Oh how cute! How did she do? You are a strong mother, and it's so good to see YOU growing up! :)

Stay on track with you - things are all starting to come together

COLOgal said...

I am going to make a great adult some day!