Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Best Kind Of Family

So in the Spring of 1998, I met them - G, Ken, and Gubby, the men I lovingly refer to as the triplets. I met Ken first in the Board room of my favorite client who had leaned pretty hard on their vendors to participate in the Relay for Life at Mile High Stadium to raise money for the American Cancer Society. G, I met the following day - in fact, the day that my now ex-husband, had me served with papers peitioning for alimony. It was the beginning of the event, in which a team member had to be on the track every minute of the event. There were enough of us that we were able to break the 24 hour event into shifts. Ok, so there was a boy's tent and a girl's tent and if you know me, then you know I ended up in the boy's tent. (G loves to tell people we slept together the night we met. He fails to tell people that we were on seperate sides of the tent, I was seeing someone, and overall, thanks to Mike Scroghem, I hated all men!)

Ok, so we know how this story comes together in that G chased me for almost a year before I would go out with him, he proposed, we moved in together, we got married, we had a baby girl, life is good. Gubby is Little's GodFather and if Ken believed in anything pertaining to religion, he would be too. We have gone through 11 years of living with one another and I love these men. So it is Christmas Eve, Gubby and his wife are going on an Austrian ski vacation and leaving on Christmas Day, so its dinner at their house. We relive memories - including the New Year's Eve that I was pregnant and the triplets decided I could not go out, so we stayed in - and we watched the Family Business marathon on Showtime,- we eat great food (Gubby's wife is a gourmet chef as a hobby), and drank fabulous wine (which after all this time, they let me bring!!! And I freaking rocked it with the wine - thank God for fine Italian reds). I told my Little on the way home that this was the meaning of family. People who know you and still love you. People you can know through good times and through bad times and still love you. They are the people that carry you when you cannot walk on your own. They are the people who want to celebrate a holiday with you before they leave town for their own holiday. They are the best kind of family.

No comments: