Monday, August 6, 2007

Success




Well, the intention to go to bed early was genuine, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions! After getting no sleep, I headed out to the Tri for a Cure. There was a point when I was really excited, which was quickly replaced by panic and fear. That point came about the time in which I got winded pushing my bike up the hill to get to the event from where I parked. I made mistake in that I took only one bottle of water (for my bike) and one bag (two servings) of Clif blocks(strawberry). The best thing I did was visit Caroline at Boulder Running Company in Littleton. I was worried about the transitions and swimsuit to bike shorts to running shorts and the absolutely necessary jog bra. She suggested ZOOT Tri separates that I could wear my bra underneath and wear throughout the race. It was perfect and I am so thankful to her. She is always supportive and helpful. So, the question of the day is did I finish. Well, there were times in which I wanted to quit, but I did not! I even finished short of the 3 hour goal I had in mind. Though the times are not perfect, they are mine and I love them! I think this is the perfect sport for me. I have a short attention span and by the time I get tired of one sport, it is time to move on to the next one. Now keep in mind this event was what they call a Sprint Triathlon, meaning the swim was a half mile, 12 mile bike ride, and 5k run - which I pretty much walked, but I also did not really train and am in horrible shape.
So the next event is the Boulder Backroads Half Marathon, but I think I will forgo it this year. I want to train for a 5K and get my pace back on par. Right now I am running a 19 minute mile, which my husband categorizes as S L O W. So run a 5K and run it well, then train for a 10K, 10 miles, half marathon, and then I would like to think about a marathon. Once I can run a half in under 2 hours, then I will revisit what training for a real Tri would look like. Of course, I have an obsessive behavior and a competitive will, so this could consume me. Much like getting my fighting weight back. We will see.....Ok, so my time is below!

F 30-34 LITTLETON CO 02:43:04

No comments: