Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Contemplation

So I am thinking heavily about resistance versus nonresistance in my life. G and I have been having a long and thoughtful conversation today about the effect parents have on us as children and what we continue to carry as adults. The natural tendency is to try and garner acceptance from your parents and make them proud through dedication and hard work. I do not have those options. In my case, I cannot gain acceptance nor am I able to make them proud. Nothing I do is the right thing. I did not marry the right man, I do not have the right number of children, I do not live on the right side of town or in the right house. My mother is the person who does not want me to do better than they did and does not celebrate my achievements.

So back to resistance versus nonresistance. We have two choices when dealing with situations and the analogy I read today was in regards to skydiving. If you throw your body out of a plane and practice nonresistance, then you are not going to free fall in a controlled way, hence you must practice resistance. When you learn martial arts, the movement is all about nonresistance. So I have my rules askew right now. I am practicing resistance to those in my life that I should be practicing nonresistance and vice versa. To make the necessary changes, I have to acknowledge why I would resist the people/things that I do. This is easier said than do....stay tuned!

No comments: