Saturday, January 9, 2010

Star Trek Got Me Thinking....

So I am sitting on the couch with my laptop on hand while G watches several episodes of an old Sci-fi series. I only half listen because I am not into this series in any way. However, one of the episodes really struck me. The captain was struck by an energy bolt that catapulted him into a space/time continuum. His teenage son was in the docking bay and witnessed the event. There was a funeral and his son could not move on. His father continued to appear to him, disrupting any normalcy the son might have established. It cost him his career, his wife, and ultimately, his life. It all worked out in the end, but the demise of the son at his own doing through his grief over the loss of his father was devastating.

So, all of this got me thinking again about how I have been neglecting myself and have fallen into various medical conditions that are now requiring medical intervention. The extreme would be something happening to me, but I can not do anything to jeopardize the opportunity for my daughter to grow up in tact, breaking the dysfunctional cycle that the women in my family have passed on for generations. I need her to have everything there is to gain in this world and a child cannot move forward, realizing all the possibilities, while grieving for someone they have lost.

No comments: