Friday, October 31, 2008

Leadership

So we had the most dynamic and interactive speaker address our Black Belt class. He is a Director within our organization and reports directly to the CEO. He is a physician and has turned his department into a well oiled machine. He grew up in a rough neighborhood and is one of those success stories that make you want to be someone from a Blue Collar life, which I am not. His discussion, and I say that because again, it was interactive and engaging, was about Leadership and what makes someone a Leader. We are all presumed leaders based on our selection for the the Black Belt program and I think the organization has done well in maintaining the exclusivity.

What was so interesting was that Dr. U ended his discussion with how to best Lead upwards to your manager and of course, discussed his examples of dealing with his manager - Our CEO. So of course, based on my most recent experiences with my previous Director, I cannot just sit there and instead must ask questions. Apparently, the frustration with my situation was detected in my voice,by more than one person, as apparent by the number of people who talked to me about my issues earlier - where they learned that my Leadership problems are not necessarily over. Different, but not over.

My success from all of this is two part in that I gained validity for my Leadership abilities and my abilities to detect a manager who will not ever be a Leader and I got to clarify that something my previous Director told me, that had me concerned about my ability to build a career at DH was a flat out lie. Seriously, how could she have known that the very Executive that she said I had offended would be a member of my class, would give me an audience based on this very subject - so appropriate, and would guide me based on some hierarchy and career concerns I had? So really if we are keeping score, there was more than the one lie she told me, but she is after all, gone now. I would be lying if I said that I was not disappointed by the whole thing in that I thought I had found someone to be my mentor, my guide, and someone I was willing to make look really good in return, but we never got there and I now believe, we never would have. So I now have really smart people on the look out for my new mentor as unfortunately, the interim Director will not be able to fill those shoes. I fully acknowledge that I am a strong personality with high expectations, who works really hard with dedication and passion. I am not always patient, especially when something needs to be fixed. I am loyal to those who are loyal to me and able to build the highest walls when I am played with. I have spent 11 years in sales, so I know when someone is lying to me and I too wear a really great smiley face when I am seething inside. I can accept constructive criticism and have the ability to adjust my course when I feel like it is coming from a place of genuineness. I do not respect self serving motives and live my professional life by one mission, that of our organization as a whole. Posers need not apply.

No comments: