Friday, October 17, 2008

UpSide~DownSide

As someone who has spent 9 months in an institution in which most employees have spent 10-20-30 years, most days I feel like a guest. Today I moved from being said guest to being home - or at least in my mind. The physicians in my Black Belt group have become Jim, Jeremy, and Mark and the titles have disappeared all around me. I allowed myself to drop my guard and feel more comfortable delivering wit and charm to the 30+ people in that room. To top my day off, I took scrub pants off of a of a surgeon today. It was a timed activity and I am proud to say, I can get a man's pants off damn fast!

Secondarily to this~I am working on a proposal that will save our organization $30K. in obvious costs. I am so excited and passionate. This environment stimulates me more than any other I have experienced. I'm so grateful and extremely fortunate for this opportunity.

So the down-side. At the same time that I am trying to take steps forward, I want my team to do the same thing. I want them to be the example by which all others follow. When and if the organization moves me ahead, I want there to be some clear cut choices to advance with me and then I want my own to fill those positions vacated by our advancement, with everyone moving forward. I am not sure I can see that clear transition and so that makes me wonder if that is my short-coming as a leader. Am I am not inspiring, do I not command respect and dedication? Or does this same more about them than it does about me? Tough questions that I will have to think about.......

No comments: